Growth and Maintenance
Pre Poo: What is it and Why Your Hair Needs it!
If your child’s hair has been misbehaving lately, then it may be time to start incorporating a pre poo into their regimen. Pre poo, it sounds strange doesn’t it? But we can assure you that it’s actually pretty good for the hair. If you’ve searched through enough forums, you may have seen the topic of pre poo’ing discussed at length. If you’re still unsure about the specifics of pre pooing, then read on!
What is a Pre-Poo?
Pre pooing is the act of applying a conditioning treatment to the hair, prior to shampoo; hence the term pre-poo. Your child’s treatment may consist of oil, a water-based conditioner, or a unique DIY blend of both oil and conditioner/moisturizer. Pre-poo treatments can happen just prior to washing, or you can leave the treatment in overnight. If using prior to washing, let the treatment sit on the hair for about 20 minutes to an hour. Your child’s personal hair needs, preferences and hair type will determine which products and ingredients to use during your child’s pre poo.
Benefits of A Pre-Poo
Pre poo’ing offers a wide range of benefits. A lot of naturals feel that it is one of the most important steps on washday, and refuse to go without it. Here is a list of benefits that your young natural may enjoy, should you decide to pre poo their hair.
- Moisture Retention: A pre poo will help balance and restore moisture levels. It also helps prevent moisture from being lost during the washing process.
- Soften and Detangles: Pre-poo is excellent at prepping the hair for washday. Once the hair becomes coated from the oils and moisturizers, it automatically softens, making the detangling process a breeze.
- Improves Styling: Because of pre poo treatments, the hair automatically holds on to more moisture. As a result, hairstyles come out significantly better.
- Improves Strength: Many oils and conditioners are fortified with vitamins and nutrients that are very beneficial to the hair. As a result, the hair becomes stronger and much more elastic.
Types of Pre Poo
You can pretty much use anything as a pre poo. Here are some examples.
- Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil
- Virgin Olive Oil
- Argon Oil
- One N’ Only Argon Oil Restorative Mask
- Mango Butter
- Your Favorite Conditioner
Make Your Own!
If you’re feeling creative or just want to ensure that your dear natural has access to the healthiest ingredients possible, you might want to create your own pre-poo. Here are a few recipes to get you started, but your options for pre-poo treatments are endless!
- Coconut Milk Pre-Poo: Mix honey, three of your favorite essential oils, and coconut milk.
- Papaya Pre-Poo: Mix avocado, yogurt and papaya.
- Peppermint Oil Pre-Poo: Mix coconut oil and peppermint oil.
How to Apply It
Combine all of your ingredients into a bowl. Section your child’s hair into four or more sections. Begin detangling with a wide tooth comb. Apply the pre-poo treatment evenly throughout each section. Cover their hair with a cap. Sitting under a hooded dryer is optional. Your child will still get the benefits of the pre-poo without the heat.
Like this recipe? Check out the DIY Natural Hair Recipe Book for over 75 natural recipes that you can make at home.
Doing a pre-poo will definitely make washday much more manageable. Have you tried pre-poo’ing your child’s hair? If so, what are your favorite products and recipes to use? Happy styling!
15 Free Recipes for Longer, Healthier Hair!
Better than any hair product that you may find on store shelves, our DIY recipes will help replenish moisture, promote hair growth and save you a ton of $$$! And we are giving away 15 Recipes FREE! Subscribe now for your INSTANT DOWNLOAD!